Things That Need to be Done When There is a Death

If your partner dies at home you must call your doctor who will sign a medical certificate confirming death, unless he decides to refer the matter to the coroner (see Sudden death).

If your partner dies in hospital the doctor on duty will issue the certificate. This paper must be taken to the Registrar of Births and Deaths who will issue the death certificate and the notification of disposal (green form) which should be passed to the Funeral Director.

Sudden Death

If the death is sudden or unusual your doctor has to tell the police, they will report it to the coroner who may call for a post-mortem and may arrange for an inquest which is a public inquiry to find out the cause of death. You should not be alarmed by this. In most cases it is purely a technicality.

The Funeral

When the death certificate has been issued by the registrar or coroner you will be given a certificate authorising the funeral. The funeral has several purposes: the committal of the deceased through burial or cremation and at the same time to pay tribute to the one who has died, and to provide support for the bereaved. A funeral is an occasion when grief can be shared. So do accept offers of help. The choice of a funeral director is important as you should feel comfortable and confident with them. He or she may be known to you personally, may be recommended by a friend or neighbour, or may have a good reputation in your locality. The National Society of Allied and Independent Funeral Directors has a Code of Practice and members will give you an estimate of costs – their own and those fees they will pay on your behalf and add to the account.

Your funeral director will make all the arrangements for the funeral – burial or cremation, religious or secular service – whatever you or your loved one wanted. The funeral director can also advise on all the procedures and documents needed to register the death as he is experienced in these matters.

Contact Us